12.7.11

Go now...

I've always loved the story of Jesus with the woman caught in adultery. So often I seem to hear these words rolling around in my head:


"Let any one of you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at her." (John 8:7)

Those times when judgemental thoughts begin to creep up, these red letters seem to ring out as I'm reminded that I too am a sinner & no sin is worse then the other.

The other day as I was pondering this story, something stuck out to me that I don't think I've ever noticed, or paid much attention to before, the final words of Jesus to this woman are:

"Go now and leave your life of sin." (John 8:11)

So often I seem to get caught up in the grace, (which by the way is a FABULOUS thing!) that I forget the last & perhaps most powerful words of all.

Yes, we are forgiven, not condemned, shown undeserved grace, HOWEVER, we're then challenged to change our ways. We're all so quick to receive grace, but would rather just stay in that place then to actually take responsibility for our actions & leave those sinful ways.

This story ends up having two equally important challenges to it's readers:
1. It's not your job or responsibility to judge sin. Rather, show grace as Jesus did.
2. After you've received this incredible gift, do something about it & change.

No comments: