22.6.10

picky eaters and change.

I recently read that often times children (especially toddlers) are picky eaters in attempt to gain some control in their lives. Which, when you think about it makes sense. As a child often there is no say in their wardrobe, who they'll play with, where they'll go, etc. It's true that a toddler's taste buds aren't fully developed, which would definitely contribute to their pickyness. Personally, I like the control theory better.

Maybe I like the control theory better because I think that even as adults we're often in the same boat as children. We choose to resist change in attempts to remain in control.

Just a couple weeks ago, I was talking to a young man who just turned 17. My husband and I have had the incredible privilege of knowing him for the 3.5 years as we've done children's ministry and he's been apart of our "dream team." As we were talking/scheming/planning for the summer months, and the coming fall season (seriously...how unbelievable that fall is on my radar already! Where has the first half of 2010 gone!?!), I mentioned some dreams I have for children's ministry at our church. This poor guy looked at me like a deer caught in headlights.

The very thought of change startled him, and all I could think about a two year-old who will only eat toast, apples, and rice.

I can't help but think that all of us like to be in control. Maybe not in control of something huge, but at least of our own lives. Unfortunately, our lives are often not our own, and various people and things bring change whether we like it or not. However, we can control ourselves, how we will act and react when change occurs.

And so, as I stand before an empty page, beginning to put plans and dreams into motion (and receiving calls/e-mails/texts from others who are bringing about change) I realize that ultimately the only thing that I can control is what's going on in my head and my heart.

In realizing this I choose to embrace the coming change. I am ready, because I know where I stand with the things that I can in fact control.

How prepared for change are you?

No comments: